Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Daily Backup of Exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

warshauer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2006
US
Which Exchange 5.5 folders would be the best to back up. My superior tells me we should back up the whole thing. Is this
true? I say this because my backup tapes have hit the overload and fails to back up due to not enough space. Exchange isn't the only program backing up. We also have company files being backed up as well. I just don't feel that backing up the entire exchange is necessary. There has to be some things to leave out.

any info is greatly appreciated.

You should have a baseline backup of your entire Exchange server. From that point, you only need to back up the Exchange databases. If you don't have a backup utility with an Exchange module, use the built-in NT Backup utility. You'll find an option in this to back up Exchange databases. Any other method requires taking the services offline during the backup - open file backup options will NOT work with Exchange databases.

wow welcome back fuego007 long time no see you here in Exchange 5.5 threads.

Ok print out FAQ10-6004 and keep in your drawer next to the Bible and practice the instructions from time to time. Don't read it when you are really in a DR situation because that will be too late. :)

Hi!
You can restore Exchange 5.5 from online backup (the one that you are performing). Probably you are going to feel more confident if you see how an actual backup and restore is performed (the restore is Step4 in the following video):

The other option is restoring from offline backup:

forum.gif
Dean

hahaha i love these videos.

confidence.. Confidence... CONFIDENCE...

thanks Dean!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back