Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Daily (4x) transaction logs to tape...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlanders300

Technical User
Mar 5, 2008
US
Howdy,

I was wondering how everyone handles this...

I have some database transaction logs that are created 4 times a day (9, 12, 3, 6). I like to get that data to tape as soon as possible. I run a job 30 minutes later. I created it as a GFS job. This is fine but it wants a full on Fridays and that's every t-log in there. Right now, it's about 90 GB on one server to collect those t-logs. And that is done 4 times per day. I was wondering about a different strategy to get this done, hopefully without the big hit on Friday. This works ok, just looking for something better if possible.

Thanks.

For something like that Custom will probably be better than GFS.

I guess I could leave the archive bit set. That way, it would go to the daily tape too. After that, it would be on two tapes. End of week, they would be on 3 tapes. I think the original tape could be overwritten at that time.

I'll give that a shot and see how that behaves.

Thanks.

I know I could do this with 4 jobs, 1 each for 9:30, 12:30, 3:30 and 6:30. Is it possible to do this with one job? I can tell it 'every 3 hours' but is it possible to say 'every 3 hours from 9:30 am until 6:30 pm'? I think that might be too complicated for the current version.

Thanks for any help.

sorry for the late reply rlanders300 but there is a separate utility in ARCServe to achieve this. It is called JOBWINDOW.exe and can be found in the ARCServe base directory.
It has a GUI and is pretty straight forward.

hope this helps.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back