Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

d3d8.dll missing on win2k, is this normal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goha

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2002
US
I am trying to install a win98 game to win2k

I have an app that uses the d3d8.dll and I cannot find it on my pc. i did a search for it on the entire HD and could NOT find it....

is this normal.... is it supposed to be there??

thanks....

i have 2 windows 2k machines in front of me, my home PC and my work laptop. My home PC has the d3d8.dll file and the laptop does not. From what I can guess is the d3d8.dll file is associated with Direct3D and DirectX 8.1 since my home pc has that installed and the work pc does not. I would suggest going to the windows update sight below and install DirectX 8.1. If the game is requiring that version of DirectX it may also be on the install CD somewhere. Hope this helps.

---------------------------------------
A+ Certified
Microsoft Certified Proffesional

I tried that, but i cannot find a direct x for win 2k does anyone know where i can get one

Thanks that did the trick, however now get the error....

"NO 3D DEVICE AVAILABLE"

How do I fix that??

What video card do you have on your pc? ---------------------------------------
A+ Certified
Microsoft Certified Proffesional

NVidia Riva TNT2 Ultra
Video card/adapter

Yup, that's a 3d card all right.

1. Go to nvidia.com and get the latest reference drivers.

2. Re-install Direct-X 8.1 as suggested above.

3. Run the program called DXDIAG.EXE and browse through, make sure nothing's disabled or standing out looking weird.

4. Report back if needed.

Good luck

Thanks alot... that did the trick.....
[medal]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back