Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

D-link router wont work with vpn connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mespe

Technical User
Aug 8, 2003
EC
Hi all:

I have a DI-614+ Router from D-link, but when trying to conect trhough vpn with a computer conected wirelessly to it, wont work. We use software on the client side to connect to the vpn, and if we use an external ip adress provided by our isp directly to the machine it works fine, but when we try to go trough the mentioned router the conection gives error: "Security negotiation timed out err no. 792".

Do you think there is any special configuration for it? I checked on the advanced page of it to enable IPSEC and PPPT, but still no progress.

thanks in advance for any help

Mespe

You said that you checked on the advanced page of it to enable IPSEC and PPPT (I assume you meant PPTP). What type of tunnel are you using (L2TP or PPTP)? Are you using your router as a NAT? If so, that could cause a problem with L2TP/IPSec because the NAT service will translate the port numbers and effectively destroy an IPSec packet. This would not happen with PPTP though, since it encrypts using MPPE which doesn't rely on the port number.

Hi

you have to forward L2TP or PPTP ports.

Anderson

Thank you for your responses.

As for your questions, computerJi, I think I use L2TP, because when I get the error message it looks something like "L2TP: Security negotiation timed out err no. 792". (I am kind of new here).

About using NAT: I understand that NAT is when you have 2 IP addresses on the same router on different ranges, and NAT does the job of transferring the packets from one ip addres to the other (gateway). If that is correct, I use the router with NAT, for we have an external IP provided by our ISP connected to the router, and it has another ip address as a gateway for the internal lan that gets the internet signal distributed.

So the question would be: do you think I can change the protocol without changing the software we use to create the tunnel?

Thanks again in advance,

MESPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back