Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

D-link AirPlus DWL 520+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gloryhound

Technical User
Jul 22, 2001
CA
Greetings,

Ok here are the specs then I'll tell you the problem

1.7 Ghz Intel
Asus p4T mainboard
512mb Rambus
2 x 40 gb hdds
power clour Geforce2 400mx
sound blaster live PCI 128 sound card.
win 2k pro

I've just tried adding the DWL 520+ wireless network card from D-Link and it keeps making the computer reboot during start up. I've tried forcing it to a free irq and it turns the computer off instead of rebooting. Installed a new PSU to make sure it wasn't a voltage problem. Same issues. Tried win xp pro but it got totally wiped out when i added the dwl-520+. If I remove the sound card the D-link will work. Has anyone else ever run into this problem? Any Ideas?

GBU!

It appears that there's a conflict between the D-Link card and the sound card.

If there are other network cards installed, then start in Safe mode, remove all network cards(incl. the D-Link card) from Device Manager, uninstall all network card software from Add/Remove Programs, shut down(do not restart), remove all network cards from their slots, restart, reinstall the D-Link software, shut down, reinstall the D-Link card, and restart.

If that does not work, then try inserting the D-Link card and/or sound card in different slots.

If still no luck, then check to see which IRQ is being assigned to the D-Link card and to the sound card when they are installed individually.
If it's the same IRQ, then see if you can manually assign IRQ's to each card in BIOS.

I changed the PCI 128 Sound blaster for a Sound Blaster Audigy and the problem went away and the two cards played well together. I tried forcing the old SB to another IRQ but neither the wireless or the SB would go to the IRQ assigned. In the end I turfed the 128 for the audigy.

Thanks for the help ski
GBU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back