Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

D. I. 2002 - Sudden problems after months of troublefree operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenoo

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
IE
This is a related issue to a similar post of mine recently in this Forum.

I have been using D.I. 2002 for almost 2 years now to create Image Files of my Partitions without any problems.

Drive 1 is 80G and is partitioned into C,E,F & G drives. Drive 2 is 120G and is the D drive.

I have XP Pro SP2 installed on the C: drive.

Some days ago I decided to Defrag the 2 hard drives installed on the PC and this appeared to procede normally . I then tried to create an Image File of the first drive and copy it to a Folder on Drive 2 as I had done many times before without problems.
This operation failed to complete after some 65% into the operation with Error message " Unable to find Image File " There was an Error number associated with this which I think was 1831 but can't now be certain whether I've remembered the exact error number correctly.

When I examined Drive 2 - (the target drive for this attempted Image File) - I found it had become un-formatted !

After re-formatting this drive and reading some NG stuff on these errors , I again tried but this time without the " verify contents " ticked.

This time the File creation completed apparently normally but when attempting to verify the created file using Drive Image Image Explorer -( as suggested in the NG's )- I got the Error message #1810 " Image File could not be accessed "

I then copied an Image File to Drive 2 which had been created before these failures and which I had burned to a DVD Disk .

This file produced a normal response when verified in Image Explorer.

Finally , thinking that something had become corrupted in the Drive Image 2002 installation , I uninstalled the Application , re-installed it and tried to create another Image File of the C: drive .

This completed apparently normally again but again produced Error #1810 " Image File could not be accessed ".

I have not attempted to Restore these Files in case I get into trouble with the Restoration.

The only comment I make here is that , since these problems seem to have happened just after a defrag of both hard drives , could this have triggered such problems ?

I have to admit I don't defrag my hard drives as often as , perhaps , I should - I have had no bad effects from previous defrags . I do remember on this occasion being surprised to see large areas of fragmented files being shown on the 120G drive . This surprised me somewhat as this drive is around 80% empty and is rarely used by myself - I had expected to be told that this drive would not need a de-frag .

Whether that is significant or not here I am not able to say

Any comments and/or help will be much appreciated.

P.S.

Until I resolve this problem I have d/l and used a similar App called "Drive Image XML" with which I have created Image Files of some of the Drive 1 Partitions.

Im wondering if sp2 would have anything to do with your problem or not?
Also, and its only my opinion, but i know its at least shared with others, lol. Anyway, with todays win xp and larger hard drives,i find that scandisk causes more problems than it fixes. And i have oh so many people who bring their pcs in, telling me their problems started as soon as they used scandisk. And i can honestly say i have run into that myself, so i dont use scandisk at all.
I can't say that about defrag, so i cant say that i know it causes problems. But i do feel that its not needed like it used to be with win 98 and smaller drives.
Just my opinion.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Thanks garebo.

<Im wondering if sp2 would have anything to do with your problem or not?>

I don't see how it can as I used D.I. with SP2 without any problems before I had these errors.

Just checking, as i have heard so many probs with sp2, although they tend to be driver related. Just wanting to make sure and get that out of the way as an issue.

I wish i could be of more help, but i dont use imaging much. I tend to rely on goback, lol.
However, theres a lot smarter guys on here, someone will read your post, lol again.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back