Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cyclic Redundancy Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciribe

Technical User
May 31, 2002
US
I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, but here goes:

The set up:

I downloaded a file onto my hard drive. It downloaded fine. Not corrupt. I then cut and pasted the file onto another partition of the hard drive. When I tried to run the file, a video file, it played until a certain point and then get a Cyclic Redundancy Error. I'm guessing that this is a bad sector because the error only occurs when i play the file sequentially. I tried to copy the file elsewhere and the error showed up again.

My Question:
What is this error really? Is this a big problem? Should a reformat? Or is this beyond reformatting?

I've seen CRC errors in two places:

1) When copying from a CD
2) When extracting from Winzip

The explanation that Winzip gives of a CRC error is that when a file is put into an archive, it is given a number (something to do with its size). When it is extracted, Winzip checks the number again, and if it is different from when it was put it, its a dodgy file.

My suggestion would be to try the following:

* Delete and download the file again
* If you can't delete, use a boot disk to go into DOS and delete it that way. Hopefully this is just a problem in Windows.
* Run ScanDisk (and possibly defrag) and then try to delete it.

Rgds

Possibility that the cut & paste may have corrupted it.
CRC is an accumulated value of the bytes in the file, the lower values of which are appended to the end of the file as a check value whem it is recalculated on data retrieval.
In theory, any write error or any read error will result in a different value being calculated and an error results. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back