Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cyan/white problem on Intel 82852/82855 graphics controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahall

Programmer
Sep 11, 2004
US
So I got really excited getting my first laptop of course, and it came in the mail. I finally got this thing started but for some reason, anything that's white on the screen gets turned cyan. And of course it's not part of a color theme.

I've tried installing Gateway and Intel's newest versions of the driver, neither help. This does still happen in safe mode, also, it does NOT happen on the Windows XP load screen or the BIOS screen. So I'm lead to believe it's a driver issue and not a monitor issue.

I've also contacted Intel and Gateway's support. Gateway thinks it needs sent back for servicing, which with college I REALLY don't want to have to do right now. Intel on the other hand hasn't replied to me yet.

If anyone has any suggestions, knows how to fix this, or knows that it is a hardware issue with the monitor, please let me know. I'll post the system specs below:

Model Gateway M305CRV
256mb of RAM
Intel 82852/82855 Graphics Controller
40gb hard drive
Windows XP Home

If it's still in warrenty, send it back immediatly. If you "jury rig" it now, 2 or 3 years down the road you'll regret it.

Well I've discussed it with Gateway some more. They said what they can do to see if it's the screen is send me an entire chasiss with everyone but the hard drive, and I just flip the hard drive over and see if it works. I think I'm going to try this. Hopefully it works if it doesn't I can't imagine what the problem is.

Let me get this right, you have a brand new unit. They want you to open it up and void the warranty?

Actually it's refurbished. It was built in July according to Gateway, I'm assuming they totally overlooked this problem when refurbishing it. I have the remainder of the original owner's warranty left, 23 days. Which all things considered doesn't sound like a very long warranty even for the original owner >.<

Oh yeah, also, their hard drives are built so you can slide them out and right into a new unit. Supposedly it requires no actual opening of the unit.

I thought I'd update on this, I had to send the laptop back a second time and they replaced motherboard this time. I haven't had enough problem yet so far *knock on wood* I don't want to jinx it though ;)

Hmmmm....

I once worked on a desktop that got garbage all over the screen, but only when drivers were loaded up. After alternate drivers were tried (and failed), we swapped the video card out for an identical card, and all was well. We could only figure that a portion of video RAM was being used only when the drivers were utilized...possibly, you had a similar problem--which would have been fixed when the motherboard (which contains integraded video was swapped).

Thanks for the update!

Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- &quot;A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back