Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CWD question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2003
NO
Where is the cwd actually set ?
When I run a perl-script from a webpage with the following directory structure

g:\
that is supposed to list the content of the folder g:\
it instead listst the content of C:\WINNT

use Cwd;
$path = getcwd;
print "$path\n";

returns c:\winnt - and I would want it to return g:\
I know I can just hardcode the script to use the path I want, but I thought I'd ask you guys first...

here is the entire script as written by default :

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

open (STDERR, ">&STDOUT");

print "Dateien im aktuellem Verzeichnis . sind: \n";
opendir DIESESVERZEICHNIS, "." or die "Kann Verzeichnis nicht ffnen: $!";
@alledateien = readdir DIESESVERZEICHNIS;
closedir DIESESVERZEICHNIS;
print "@alledateien\n";
exit(0);

"." should refer to the users homedir, but instead lists c:\winnt ... any idea why ??

PugTheBlack,

Most groupers here read English, I only lived 4 storeys over an Irish Pub in Essen for 9 months, and can make some sense of this. It's an idea to "Anglify" your scripts before posting, as more people will be qualified to help

#!/usr/bin/perl

print "@alledateien\n";
exit(0);

"." should refer to the users homedir, but instead lists c:\winnt ... any idea why ??

In English
print "Files in this directory are\n"; #rough xlation
openddir THISDIR, "." or die "Can't open Directory $!";
@allfiles=readdir THISDIR;
closedir THISDIR;
print "@allfiles\n";

Your problem;
"." refers to the current directory ".." means one up
HTH
--Paul

well... I hardly understand what the script says myself as I'm not German, but the words are not really important in this context... What you call the DIRNAME, and EXPR variables + the error msg ?? Of course I could translate them, but the problem has nothing to do with the german text

And why in your opinion would the "." not list the contents of the current folder g:\ but rather c:\winnt then ?

That is what I can't understand

btw... tried the fix and put ".." instead of "." and ended up getting a listing of absolutely nothing.

I have made a manual fix by hardcoding the adress into the script, but that doesn't really make the script very versatile does it ?

Pug,
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl 
use Cwd;
$path = getcwd;
print "$path\n";
foreach (@alledateien) {
  print "$_\n";
 }
exit(0);
I ran the script above, in 'My Documents' directory, adn it ran as expected. Is there a possibility that you have another similarly named script, and are accessing it by mistake?

--Paul

No, and the weird thing is that I am running it on several other servers and it runs correctly on all of them .. :-\

We did have the same problem on another server for a while, but for some reason it just corrected itself...

But back to the BASE question here, the getcwd call returns c:\winnt, what defines the cwd ? Is the cwd the actual directory you run the script from ( it can't be in my case ) or is it defined somewhere else ?

Thx alot for trying to help Paul, much appreciated :)

Try

$mycwd=cwd; #it's slower, but might be more accurate

--Paul

"It just corrected itself", sounds like there's a possibility that someone else is changing the configuration of the servers

will try the $mycwd=cwd; option too...

well we were 2 ppl working on the problem at the time, but none of us really did anything ( atleast not that we can remember :p )

You said you "run a perl-script from a webpage".
Could it be your web server setting the "current working directory" before calling your script ?
Then it would be a web server configuration problem.

--------------------
"When all else has failed, read the manuals."

Denis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back