Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CVSNT - failed to create lock directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyMaraca

Programmer
Nov 12, 2003
AU
To anyone that can help me with this, I will be *ETERNALLY* grateful.

I am using the JavaCVS( classes to interface with a CVSNT repository. Checkout, and version fetching are working, however when I try to add a file I get -

"cvs server: failed to create lock directory for `C:/cvsrepo/test/CVSROOT/Emptydi
r/DXTEMP/CVS/CVSTest' (C:/cvsrepo/test/CVSROOT/Emptydir/DXTEMP/CVS/CVSTest/#cvs.
lock): No such file or directory
cvs server: lock failed - giving up
cvs [server aborted]: lock failed - giving up"

The CVS repository is located in c:\cvsrepo, with a repository root defined at /test. So why, I wonder, is it trying to create a lock at 'C:/cvsrepo/test/CVSROOT/Emptydi
r/DXTEMP/CVS/CVSTest'?

The strange thing is, that if I run this same code from my home machine, accessing the repository remotely via the internet(using pserver) it works?! so it only occurs when I run the code on the same machine as the CVS repository resides on.

Has anyone come across something like this, or have insight into what might be causing it?

Thanks HEAPS in advance :)

Similar situation occurred with us, below is what was done and helped.

Created a Directory called LockDir

Edited the Config file under CVSROOT and changed to below.

# Put CVS lock files in this directory rather than directly in the repository.
LockDir=d:/CVSREPO/LockDir

Not sure if this will help in your situation but thought I should give you theinfo.

Also needed to get rid of all the locks the files with # inside CVSROOT. (Can't remember if this was a subfolder or not)

The other reason you'll get this sort of message is when cvs doesnot have write permission in the CVS repository.
This usually happens, at least on linux systems, when CVS is not the primary group of the individual who commited the module.

In plain speak, check the group owner and permissions.

Rgrds Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back