Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CVS of more than just code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keph

Technical User
Oct 15, 2002
CA
Hi, I'm new to CVS, but I can see how it is a powerful and useful tool. However, I was wondering if there existed a system that did versioning of more than just source code (text). For example, is there a system out there that allows the similar versioning of an entire website (images, directory structure, style-sheets, etc.) I realize that features like diff wouldn't be needed/useful for an image, but it would be nice to check out a version of a site your working on, update an image or two, change some text and then commit those changes. If you change your mind about the image, then a previous version would be stored. Also, I've noticed that files with certain characters seem to cause problems in CVS (escape characters?) It would be nice to be able to use any character that is valid for a webpage. Does aything like this exist?

I don't see any reason why you cannot use cvs itself for your purpose. You can define the directory/file hierarchy of your web project and check in files in the same hierarchy you wish to publish in the web server. Only things you need to be careful is any non-text based files made sure to check-in as Binary file. Every version of your project when you publish, you can tag the entire project in cvs with a version name/number and retrieve later. With images the diff and branching features may not be of any use.

If you are a MS Windows user, then you can opt to use WinCVS which gives you a rich GUI to interact with cvs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back