Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cvs merge Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nalvk

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2008
US
Hello,

We are using cvs for version control.
The trunk is obsoleted for now, as it contains more than necessary code.

The trunk has two sub-branches, one for on-going development & one for the release branch.

the development branch is where the ongoing development happens and release branch where files are merged & patches are created & released to customer.

On an average i create 2-5 patches in a day.
So, i merge the changes from development to release branch, using the End tag as the developers tag.
I use the tag as End tag instead of the branch as the correct versions must go into the patches rather than the latest versions.

however this merging has become an issue, as manual merging is prone to errors & there are chanches of skipping files etc. In addition the time i take for one patch creation is gone up.

In addition to this developer create a tag after committing their work, but sometimes the tags are applied & there would have been no errors.

Does some one out there use a similiar process? any suggestion on how the merge step can can be improved/ automated & mistakes avoided?

Are there any issues, merging regularly from one sub-branch to another & using a tag.

note: i have to create each patch seperately & cannot combine them into one, as they are applied at different times on approval.

Thanks,
Nal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back