Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CV 7 SP5 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFStorageTech

IS-IT--Management
Sep 3, 2008
US
I am having a small problem when I update my servers with SP5. I control 13 bases in the Air Force and some of the Commserv's are updated but I check the client it still says needs update. When I check it it says the following:

ServicePack:5 [Missing for QNetAgent; QNetAgentDB; ]

Does any one know what this means? This is also happening on other regular servers but missing different elements. Any thing will help.

Thanks

USAF

Yes, I used the CopyToCache.exe program. Thats how I also updated the other servers.

It could be one server is 64bit and the other is 32bit.

All the other servers get their update except the CommServ and that is a 32bit.

> ServicePack:5 [Missing for QNetAgent; QNetAgentDB; ]

I don't trust these messages. I've applied full service packs to a number of machines only to see that one machine or another is "missing" certain components of the service pack. It's a pack of lies (ie. wrong).

Craig,

How can you tell its wrong? So is the server good then?

Thanks

> How can you tell its wrong?

Because I've manually applied the service pack myself without incident (ie. no errors - the pack was applied "successfully") only to find that the status according to the properties page was missing components. "How can they be missing", I reason, "if I've just applied the whole thing successfully?". And when other machines with exactly the same CV software installed on them and exactly the same successful SP applied are not suffering from the same affliction?

> So is the server good then?

If you applied the SP yourself and it went through without incident, then yes - I believe that it's fine. If you applied the SP via a push-install or let the automated download/install apply it, then you may need to check the log files to see if there were any problems at the time. But forget the tiresome log files - the easiest way to satisfy yourself is to manually install the SP again on the box that it reckons is sick. If it says that all of the updates have already been installed, then that's about it for the so-called "missing" components I reckon!

Note: Applying software updates (including service packs) will stop and restart the Simpana services - don't do it when anything CommVault is running on the box at the time. One good thing about working in the backup field of IT is that you can often work on these things during the day, since they usually run at night! Neat huh? [Until something goes wrong in the middle of the night and they call you out then :-( ]

Note: Applying software updates (including service packs) will stop and restart the Simpana services - don't do it when anything CommVault is running on the box at the time. One good thing about working in the backup field of IT is that you can often work on these things during the day, since they usually run at night! Neat huh? [Until something goes wrong in the middle of the night and they call you out then ]

Thats very true. I did the push through the CS but everything was successful so I'll leave it alone. Thanks for all your help.

I had this happening quite frequently in our facility even when commserve handled the updates you can usually look through the logs and see what updates weren't applied and manually apply them. If that doesn't work you can write a script with a host file that will go out and run the removeupdates.exe found in the commvault base folder then have the commserve push the packages to the client again (just easier then running the tool by hand). I would recommend looking through the logs first and see what they say could be conflict with another issue or a component that isn't installed. Let me know how it goes.

> could be conflict with another issue or a component that isn't installed

Yes could be, but I pointed out that sometimes there is no problem and the suggestion that a box is missing one or more updates is sometimes just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back