Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting Up Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamstorch

Technical User
Jun 16, 2000
US
I have the current data that i need to cut up into last first and middle, however---the data is incosistent---take a look at this sample data<br><br><br>Arlene Schraft<br>Alicia A. Seymour<br>Alida Corrigan<br>Anthony C. Spinelli<br>Anne C. Vetrano<br>Anthony Decesare<br>Allan D. Sutton<br><br>The problem with this data is that if i try to cut it up by a delimeter and put it into three columns, some last names with be read as middle names and so on---any ideas???

Have you checked out the FAQ page for Access? Use the back button on your browser to get back to the Access Forum Page. Look at the top for the FAQ page. Someone put in a nice utility for names that might be just what you need.

I have had this issue before.&nbsp;&nbsp;I set up two new number fields to update. One for the text length from the left side to the first space, and the other for the text length from the right side to the second space.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then using those new numbers, I used LEFT and RIGHT functions to update the new name fields.&nbsp;&nbsp;Such as Left([NAME],[FIRSTSPACE]). I did not need the middle int., but I would imagine you could do a calculation to get at it.<br><br>Hope this helps!<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back