Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting out background

Status
Not open for further replies.

TydaMANN

Technical User
Feb 24, 2005
CA
HEllo everyone, Im new here and not that good with Corel Draw 12.

I have a picture of a guy, and I want to remove the background, to put it on a different background. What is the quickest and easiest way to do this?

you wouldn't do it in Draw - you'd do it in Photopaint for starters. There's a number of ways to do it. To do it well will require some skill. You could use the Path tool and create a path around the guy, convert the path to a mask, then create a new object based upon the mask; you could do a rough mask around the guy, create a new object from this mask, apply a clipmask based upon the object's transparency and then paint on the clipmask with black to erase out the areas you don't need; or you could do Image|Cutout and follow the HELP instructions within the tool.

The way to do it in Draw is to select your bitmap, then select the shape tool (F10 on CDR 11) then Add lots of nodes and edit these, for instance to cut around a curve on the bitmap right click on the node and select 'to curve' then move the curve into the desired position. This can be verry accurate when the technique is perfected, but to be honest just use either paint or even better Photoshop.

I use the eraser tool in COREL for most bitmap trimming. It has the same mathematical effect as Photopaint's mask and cutout. It takes me no longer or shorter to do it this way than in Paint; but I hate flipping between applications on my computer, so I'd likely do it this way regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back