Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cutting down the size of Recordset DTCs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyApp

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
GB
Hi can anyone tell me if there is a way to cut down the size of the recordset design-time controls? I have quite a few on one page and all are necassary but it is slowing the page down a lot. I don't want to just go in and start deleting things for fun. "Life is like a Ferrari, it goes to fast.
But that's ok, because you can't afford it anyway" - Jim Davis (Garfield)

Have you tried turning on the Trace feature (see the top of the asp page). When 'true' it lists the recordset events etc. Unfortunately, it does not print the time.

Edit the _ScriptLibrary/PM.ASP and you can add the time to these trace messsages. This way you may be able to see if there is a particular place that slows the page down.

Remember - all recordsets that populate list/combo-boxes should be opened then closed, and not opened again. If you leave them to auto-open on round-trips then this will slow down the page, with no benefit at all.

PS. You can remove the design-time code, just leaving the JavaScript runtime for any DTC. Right click a DTC and see the menu options. BUT, once deleted, they are (or can be) rather tedious to edit. (Content Management)

Thanks MerlinB just what I was after. It's not the actual round trips to the server that's causing the problems but just the shear size of all the textboxes and drop down boxes and recordsets but removing the Desgin Time Stuff has lightened the load somewhat. "Life is like a Ferrari, it goes to fast.
But that's ok, because you can't afford it anyway" - Jim Davis (Garfield)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back