Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cutting compound paths

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert108

Technical User
Jul 23, 2009
GB
Well, I can't do it. I've gone round and round in circles and found nothing in 'help' - so I turn to the experts!

I have drawn a grid made up of many vertical and horizontal lines, and want to chop a smaller section out of it (because the squares ore too small.

Does anyone know how I can do this - other than using the scissors on individual paths??

Thanks

John F. Manchester,UK

...select grid of strokes (release the compound if it is already is a single compound shape by choosing object > compound path release)...

...choose object > expand, click OK...

...your grid is now outlined paths as opposed to strokes...

...with entire grid still selected, choose object > compound path > make, this is now one compound object...

...draw cutter shape above grid...

...select both the compound grid and the cutter shape needed to "cut" a larger hole...

...choose the pathfinder palette (window > pathfinder), select the "minus front" option...

...in CS4, if you hold down alt/option key as you choose the "minus front" option it will keep the object "live" meaning you can adjust the hole shape later if required...

...in lower versions i believe this is the opposite, in that using the alt/option key makes the shape "complete"...

andrew

Thank you Andrew ...... I wouldn't have worked that out in a century!
(Except by accident......)
John

...haha!!! a century?

: )

...i've just turned 150 and i only found out by accident...

: )

...anyway, the golden rule is that a stroke has to be converted to an expanded shape, otherwise the pathfinder functions will give you odd looking results (unless you want an odd result)...

...the compound function is also required so illustrator knows the lines both horizontal and vertical need to be cut through, so it has to be one object...

...or you end up having to perform a pathfinder function more than once...

andrew

Andrew ... I expect you're a genius of some sort.
Thank you for your valuable advice!
John

...thats fine john glad to help sir!

...one other grid tip i can also provide is in the creation of grids, in many cases it can be easier to just split a primitive rectangle that has only a stroke color applied (no fill color set to none if you wish to have it transparent) by using the object > path > split into grid, set the gutter value to zero and dial in as many rows as you like, do the same values for the column section...

...creating a grid this way also enables you to change it later down the road by simply selecting the whole grid object and going back to that dialog again (object > path > split into grid)...

...obviously once you "expand" an objects structure it loses it's "live" editing capabilities...

andrew

OK, thanks Mr Ape PP (!).
I've saved you advice in a folder for th future when I've forgotten everything.

Much appreciated.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back