Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cut off the clipping rests

Status
Not open for further replies.

BasLightyear

Technical User
Oct 27, 2009
EE
I've been searching and searching, all about cropping a oval out of an image, and everywhere it's simple; a clipping mask! Beautiful. And then? Indeed I see the result, but how to get rid of the clipping mask then? Without losing my nice oval off course. All I want in the end is this oval filled with the image and nothing else. If I save it as a jpg it still has the leftover white from the mask, and I would also love to be able to play with it as a vector-oval. Pathfinder-moves won't work on a jpg, so sad...

please help me with this tormenting issue...

BasLightyear

...whats the image your cutting, a bitmap or a vector drawn image?

...bitmaps always have four corners, for the bitmap image to actually be oval you need to have a transparent background, which can be done in photoshop or created in illustrator using a clipping mask and exporting to PDF 1.4 or higher format, and then open PDF in photoshop...

...if you need to remove pixels under a mask in illustrator, please refer to this thread i replied to before, the result is still a square image clipped:

...if it is a vector drawn image you are trying to cut, then you need to employ a different method(s), but without seeing what you have it is difficult to advise what steps are required...

andrew

Aloha Andrew,

thanks for your reply!
I have a JPG image, a photo of a stone, and actually my plan was to cut out ovals from all different stones to put them on a website. I've been working quite a lot with AI, but I came never upon this problem, or "McGyvered" my way around them. This time I just want to know how to get an oval filled with a detailed part of the attached JPG and if possible have a vector with this fill. And like you suggested, a transparent background is essential.

Thanks ahead,
BasLightyear

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Tigers-Eye.jpg
Hi again,

I red your thread reply and quote: 3. Deselect all, and select the portion you want to keep, release the clipping mask and extract;

I have no idea what you mean by extract...

greetz,
BasLightyear

...still struggling to understand what your needing to be honest...

...from the initial post you saved a clipped image as a jpeg, however jpeg doesn't support transparency, so you will have white...

...you need to save a clipped image as PSD to maintain transparency, or PDF, or EPS, or for web use as a GIF or PNG...

...the thread about removing pixels from a mask merely removes extra data around the clipping mask, as by default, clipping masks only hide the WHOLE image outside the mask...

...when using the transparency flattener technique you can rid that extra data outside the clipping mask, but your still left with a clipped SQUARE image if using an oval mask, for example...

...when using a square clipping mask you can release that clipping mask when using the transparency flattener technique, as the user in that thread wanted to get rid of data around a square clipping mask, so therefore the clipping mask is no longer needed, a bit like cropping an image in photoshop to a smaller area, removing that extra image data...

...yours is an oval mask, so it is not likely you are needing that technique at all...

...how is it that simply clipping the image to an oval mask not fulfilling your requirements, is it just that you are exporting to the wrong format to maintain transparency?

andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply again.
Lets forget about the transparency for now.
How will I fill an oval or any other shape with a jpg image?
I understand the clipping mask feature by now, but one will always have this square "with something behind it" in his artwork.
If there is no way to do so just in AI, then I am happy to know how to do it in Photoshop and in what format it has to be send to AI in order to get a vector outline with a photo-fill.

PS, thx for your patience
BasLightyear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back