Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cut and Paste error in Impromptu

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveFinance

Technical User
Jul 6, 2004
US
Whenever I try to cut and paste even a moderate amount of information (say from one calculated data field to another), Impromptu generates an error and has to restart. How do I fix this? Thanks.

By experience I don't cut and paste calculation. It seems that impromptu lost reference in this case. The solution : retyping the function.

Gilles

I have reasonably long formula that I need only a few date changes in and I need to repeat this several times. Retyping the whole formula is simply not practical. I know it is possible to cut and paste large amounts of data in Impromptu because I have done it before. I just recently upgraded to the Admin version of Impromptu and it is only now that I am getting this error. I used to get it in the User version as well, but then it stopped doing it for some reason.

Steve,

Early implimentation of the expression editor cut-and-paste was very unstable, often leading to the crashes you have had. I have found it to be more stable in 7.1.

An undocumented (or under-documented) feature to get around this is to do a Ctrl-click and drag from within the Report | Query | Data screen to copy another calculated column and modify it to meet the requirement. Make sure you hesitate just a moment with the Ctrl-Click before you try to drag the column or it will just re-order the existing columns.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back