Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CustomView Hardware Platform - Server or XP OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesL

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2006
US
I'm looking for documentation whether the Customview products can run on a high-end workstation with XP and what are considerations in determining whether to use a server or a high end workstation?

Custom view can run on any Windows 2000 (sp1 or greater) or XP (sp 1 or greater); workstation or server. Ideally, custom view is designed to be on a supervisor's desktop so they can access realtime information during the day. Although you can run custom view on a server, I would not recommend since custom view is a named license. Unless only 1 person is accessing it on a server, it would not really be ideal to have on a server. I run it on XP (sp2) P4 3.2gHz 1gB RAM desktop. I am running version 4.0. Just remember to install the schema before the custom view director/producer. Have fun...

CustomView had two product lines, Producer/Director for LIVE data reporting and Writer/Runner for historical data reporting.
We ran Producer/Director on old P3 with NT and now run as one application on a basic P4 on XP.
We run Writer/Runner on a P3 running NT as the only app. It runs basic scheduled reports daily. If we had more reports to run, we would consider upgrading to a better machine.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back