Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CustomLog Not working in apache2.2.9 on ubuntu 8.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

NullTerminator

Programmer
Oct 13, 1998
US
apache creates empty log file on startup but wo't write anything to it, defalt log is working

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" common LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent

CustomLog /var/log/apache2/jb_common common CustomLog /var/log/apache2/jb_referer referer

Browser has cache cleared. access.log gets new entries, custom logs get nothing

\0

shouldn't it be:

CustomLog /var/log/apache2/jb_common common
CustomLog /var/log/apache2/jb_referer referer

Or did you mispaste? The third arg to CustomLog is the conditional test for environment variable.

elgrandeperro,

You are correct, it is a paste and haste error.

even the predefined referer format won't work, let alone my custom_io format

LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
CustomLog /var/log/apache2/jb_referer referer

No errors in the error_log unless I intentionally misspell something. So I know it sees the directives...

\0

Are you virtual hosting (is there a CustomLog directive in your virtual hosting)?

I am currently experiencing the same problem with Ubuntu 8.04, Apache 2.2.8. Module log_config was built into Apache, but neither CustomLog nor TransferLog will write anything at all to a file. The file is created, but left empty.

Is rebuilding Apache from 2.2.8 source with the same compiled-in modules a viable solution? Would I need to drop in anything more than the binary?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

No, No virtual hosting. Single site on the box. Single apache instance.

Still no luck - moving to Centos 5

Also having issues with perl operator <> not using STDIN without explicitly specifying <STDIN>

Oh well...

Ubunbtu is nice for desktop, but weak as server platform

sh vs bash is also annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back