Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Customizing the NT banner page (sysprint.sep)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohack

Programmer
Apr 30, 2003
US
Hi all,

I am the administrator of a college. We currently use banner pages, to separate students printed work. Every student print job prints a banner page. I have managed to recode the sysprint.sep page, so it only prints on the top of the page: the date and user ID. We now use the banner pages as (expensive) scrap paper.

The end goal is to have the student ID print out on the upper left or right corner of the page and use the same page to print the intended article. Can it be done? This would save a number of trees and dollars.

P.S. I can live with it on the bottom of the page too...

Thanx,
Bohack

Yes, but there are a number of approaches, and PostScript may not in fact be the best for your situation.

What is your printer platform? Could you post a link to the SYSPRINT.SEP code?

Thomas D. Greer

The way it works right now is: student print to the NT print server, the the print server prepends the banner page of post script to the print job. The result is a banner page with the students info (jobid, username, time, etc..) then the print job prints. I would like to have the students print job (either the first copy or all) have a header with his or her username and the original work un touched on the same page. I think it is possible if i make the printer print to the usually unprintable range the page (first .25 inch or so). We use HP LaserJet 5 printers with postscript and an NT print server system. I am learing the postscript language as we speak, but i need some direction. A copy of the sysprint.sep can be downloaded from
Thanx,

Bohack

Let me look at the file, and I'll get back with you.

I think that using the /BeginPage setpagedevice entry may work for you, if you'd like to continue researching/learning on your own!

Thomas D. Greer

Try simply removing the final "showpage" from the sysprint.sep file. This will prevent it from outputting itself as a separate page.

If it is truly prepending to the print job, this should work fine.

Keep in mind though, that the print job may mark the page "on top of" the banner information.

Thomas D. Greer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back