Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

customizing table limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdhab

MIS
Dec 10, 2006
CA
hi
is it possible to make a limit to a table in sql server? (a maximum number of records)
thanks

You'll have to do this with a trigger. I'm not sure a constraint will be good for this task

[sub]____________ signature below ______________
The worst mistake you'll ever make is to do something simply the way you know how while ignoring the way it should be done[/sub]

is it the only solution?
is there any feature or option inside sql server where u can put the maximum number of records?

Other than putting the table in it's own filegroup and restricting the growth I'm not aware of one.

The worst mistake you'll ever make is to do something simply the way you know how while ignoring the way it should be done[/sub]

If you have an identiy column on the table, you could use a constraint to say that the value must be below the number of records that you want in the table.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Granted this will only work if the identity starts at 1, and no one adds in any negitive numbers.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

deletes may put a bump in the road on that unless you reseed the identity regularly

Scratch that last comment. Dumb to think you would go off the MAX() and now the COUNT()

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back