Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Customizing Additional Keys on Keyboards 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
I've got a Logitech Elite Keyboard that I've used for a few years, and really like it - well, I like one specific feature. It has a scroll wheel on the left which by default acts just like the scroll wheel on your mouse. However, using Windows XP, I've always used the iTouch download to customize that scroll wheel to instead only adjust volume.

There is already another volume control on the keyboard but for my usage, the scroll wheel is in the most ideal location - far left of the keyboard.

So the other day I try out Windows 7 on that machine. Well, I cannot customize the buttons for my keyboard. According to Logitech, with Vista and Seven, their software is not required, and they don't offer it. Before, I used iTouch for the keyboard, and SetPoint for my Logitech mouse.

Does anyone know of a way to manually configure additional buttons on a keyboard, such as this one? How (specifically in Windows 7 if you know) do you go in and customize it? If I can just do that, I'll be happy.

Also, does anyone know of a free program online that'll take care of these features for any keyboard? I think I may try to download the MS keyboard drivers just to see if I can somehow use that.. I know the MS volume control on screen display can be used regardless of the keyboard you use.

Also, along those lines, if anyone knows of a good keyboard which has volume controls on the left hand side that work well, or has other buttons there which are customizeable, I'd like to look into that as well.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I suppose I could also try AutoHotkey for this as well... I did download and install it, but I hadn't messed with that program in so long, that I'll have to relearn it a little, I suppose. AutoHotkey installed without a hitch on Windows 7 64 bit.

And I also used to use HotKeyControl when it was free.... then it went to a paid version, and now all I can find is once again the free version... I'll have to see if I can get it to work on Seven 64 bit:

--

Short follow-up.

I also did contact Logitech support to ask about the keyboard. All they told me was that it was not a supported keyboard for Windows 7, so I just needed to get a new one.

So if anyone else has the same experience, note that Logitech isn't concerned about helping with existing hardware. They instead want you to spend $100 on a new keyboard, similarly capable or not.

Well, that's my thought on it anyway.

--

For sound control, there is Volumouse that allows you to control volume with your keyboard or mouse scroll wheel.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanks. I'll take a look at that one.

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back