Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Customised "Help" text for User Defined Functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

garybug

Programmer
Jul 27, 2003
GB
I have a few UDF's that take up to 6 input parameters. I would like to give my colleagues a hand in what & how they should enter the argument data. How can I create the same Help text as Excel does when a user selects a function in the Insert Function Dialogue box. E.G., selecting DATE returns the ever so helpful 'DATE(year,month,day)', and the text 'Returns the numbver that represents the date in Microsoft Excel date-time code'. It would be nice to have this for my functions too, any advice?

garybug,
Here's a third way to add description text to the function wizard for your UDF:
1) ALT + F8 to open the Macro Selector
2) Enter the name of your function in the "Macro name" field at the top of the resulting dialog
3) Click the "Options" button
4) Enter the desired text in the "Description" field at the bottom of the next dialog

When naming the parameters in your UDF, choose descriptive names. These names are displayed in the function wizard. I like to append the units of measure to my engineering function parameters, so an input variable might be named "InletPressurePSIG" or "TemperatureF".

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back