Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Customisable Application 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkluk

Technical User
Aug 17, 2001
GB

Hi!

I'm working on an Access Project(.adp) that will eventually be distributed to several users on a network. I want to allow some degree of customisation e.g. default directories, combo lists, etc that can be set up locally. Instead of modifying the program itself, I thought of placing all the necessary data in a textfile where changes can be made. Anyone know a better way to do this or why I shouldn't do it this way?

GKL

Why not split the database into front-end, back-end? Each user then has his/her own front-end which may be modified as you or the user sees fit and the data stays on the back-end. The only thing users then have in common is the data.

Uncle jack

Thanks for replying, Uncle Jack!

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear in my earlier post, but I'm using Access Project with MSDE. My main problem isn't the data itself, which will all be stored on the server, but user specific information. For example, some of my forms allow users to save Excel files in a specified directory on the server. The problem is that the directory could be different on each user's computer e.g. R:\ for some, U:\ for others. I thought of placing information like this into a text file that could be distributed with my application. Any thoughts?

GKL

One way would be to write a function which verifies the user, & based on what this returns different paths, etc could be actioned:

This is fairly simple if you are using NT or Win2000, & if all users have a unique login name. You can then use their login to define what will/wont happen:

Sub GetUser()
Dim User as string
User = Environ("UserName")
End Sub

Part of the code for the bits which change depending on user could be something like the following:

Sub SelectCorrectPaths()
Dim Path as string
Call GetUser
Select Case User
Case "Joe"
Path = "...."
Case "Jayne"
Path = "SomethingElse"
Case n...
End Select

Something like this will at least allow basic automatic customisation based upon the user who is logged in at the time. This works quite well into people start using each others logins!!

James Goodman
j.goodman00@btinternet.com

GKL,

If you store the drive mappings as UNCs then there should be no problem. The UNC should be the same irrespective of the drive mapping.

Craig

jgoodman00 and Craig0201,

Thanks so much for replying! Two brilliant solutions to my problem. I think my own will cause me more grief than it's worth. I never knew about the Environ function. Wow! The things you could do with it. Craig, storing drive mappings as UNCs is simply....SIMPLE!

Thanks again fellas!

GKL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back