Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Customer wants to do own install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountainbear

Programmer
Sep 27, 2009
CA
I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this.
I have a customer who wants to purchase a box of Cat6 wire from me. They intend to install the wire themselves, most likely I will be called back to terminate, test, label and connect these data drops. Although I have supplied the wire this time with install instructions, I am NOT happy with this situation. I am trying to build a reputation as a reputable, competent technician. You cannot guarantee your work if some of the job was done by someone else. How should I handle this in the future? Am I being unreasonable? The people doing the install are not electricians or qualified in any way.

Welcome to the wonderful new world of telcom! I've been in this field my entire working life (39 years) and I have never seen it this bad. It seems that everyone who is out of work thinks they can do this type of work because after all, it's just cabling! I actually work on the PBX side of the business but I still have to deal with the results of some of the crappiest work that's ever been done. I mean, some of these people aren't even aware that there is such a thing as a manual on wiring with BIX equipment (there is, i keep a copy on my PC to show it to these morons, assuming some of them can read).

In any case, to do it right, it's going to cost a bit more money and unfortunately you're going to be competing against people who will undercut you no matter what price you put on it because they will do it cheaper by cutting corners and using the cheapest material around. Be thankful though that the customer is willing to have you back to terminate and test. At least that way you can maintain some control of the end quality.

If I were in your situation, I would charge them 3 times what the box of cable cost me. If they're willing to pay it, great! In the end, it might even cost them more overall depending on how much they pay these goons. If you have a written agreement with the customer you might want to consider a disclaimer in there stating that you are only responsible for the work you do and specifically exclude anything to do with issues reulting from the running of the cable including damage to ceiling, ceiling tiles, walls etc..

Hell, I remember one site where the cusomer offered a few of their employees a case of beer to run 35 cables into their offices. These guys ran those cables everywhere, thru anything to get there, and when they got them down the walls they literally punched a hole in it with a screwdriver, pulled a couple of feet through and considered it complete. They ran them all into the comms room through a hole that was literally punched through with their fist and left them in a tangled mess on the floor and not a number or any identifying mark on any of them. I was sent there to install the phone system and they expected me to provide jacks and terminate everything. That was NOT in our contract so you can imagine what my response was. And oh ya, the cable they used was the stuff used to make patch cords with, not the the standard solid core 24 guage stuff. We brought in one of our cabling contractors and he charged them an astronomical amount to finish the job and neither of us would guaranty anything for them.

Just goes to show you. It's not just the mess of unprofessional, uneducated buffoons that have infiltrated our profession, it's also the cheap ass customers willing to go along with them and then expect the real pros to fix everything that's messed up for nothing.

Everytime I find myself in your situation, I make sure I charge enough so it turns out to be more expensive for them in the long run. If they don't call back, then who cares. I refuse to work for peanuts. I've spent a lifetime learning what I know and if some newbie thinks they can do it better than I can, they can take their best shot!

Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice. I am just about fed up with this customer. I gave them a very rough estimate with out seeing the job of around $135 each to supply, install and terminate cat 6. They thought this was "a bit expensive".
These are the same guys who bought a security camera system at Walmart and wanted me to install the DVR in the washroom instead of building a seperate cabinet.

I think that it completely depends on your line of business. Are you a store/retailer/reseller that also offers services, or are you a service provider? If you're a retailer/reseller, then just sell them whatever they want and let them do it however they want. If you are a service provider then tell them that you offer the services on a time and materials basis, and that if they want to buy cable and run it themselves then they should contact a company that sells retail cable.

Most importantly, if you are going to be the "installer of record", so to speak, stand your ground. Refuse to do the termination, testing, etc unless you do the whole job. Otherwise you cannot guarantee the quality of the work, yet you'll be the one getting the blame if it doesn't work out. You'll also be the one who most likely gets dinged if they run the cable improperly, too close to high voltage cabling, don't use firestop as appropriate, etc. You reputation isn't worth it, especially over a measly $135.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Thank you both for the advice. This has been an experience in how to remain professional even when your customers are not. After selling them the wire, now a week later they are in a "Hurry to get the job done" and want me to do the complete install with one of there "helpers". The asked if I was available Easter Saturday. No more favors for these guys.
I could see if this was a farm or construction company but this is a medical office. Time for me to set some standards and stick to them.

After selling them the wire, now a week later they are in a "Hurry to get the job done" and want me to do the complete install with one of there "helpers".

Good decision. Though I'm sure you're aware of this, I would also refuse to do the work with one of their "helpers". If you're going to be involved then you're going to ultimately own responsibility for the work. You want to make sure that the work is done correctly and that you get paid for all of it.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back