Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Customer site survey template

Status
Not open for further replies.

t3rm3y

Technical User
May 18, 2017
GB
Hello, I need to collate data on a large customer site, approx 2000 users, spread across multiple buildings,
Unknown endpoints (large quantity of alog so no screen/extension number easily available)
Has anyone a template or starting point to gather the site data to migrate it all to IP handsets.
I'm thinking: building code/room or location of device/extension if known/device type/ cat5 port nearby/cat5 port number
What else is good to know on such a large survey? (Withing reasonable time restraints as well, so info gather as quick as possible to avoid causing disruption, so can't be crawling around hunting for structured cabling if not easily visible)

Good luck. Are you doing this yourself or do you have help?

Can't offer much advice on identifying anything without knowing what the existing endpoints are connected to, but hopefully you can call something from each ext that logs the call so you can identify the extension. Maybe not in real time, but an SMDR dump would be better than nothing.

As far as labeling, I'd log any existing labeling that may exist, but then re-number everything building-floor-room-jack (or whatever combination of that makes sense), and make a spreadsheet that cross-references any existing labeling with the new scheme.

Start with asking the client for a floor plan with the users names and ext/DN #.

In the old systems programming, see what ext/DN goes to which port.
On the board/panel see which port goes to which cable # on the patch panel.

Note on the plan the cable # besides the users name/DN.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Just follow curlycord's guide and you are done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back