Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Customer Satisfaction???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattflynn

Programmer
Jun 11, 2001
US
I am in the process of evaluating a few different Business Intelligence systems for our company, Cognos being one of them. I noticed that voting for who likes Cognos is pretty well split. This is an open invitation for anyone out there to voice what they like and don't like about the Cognos product.

Thank You

Matt

Hello Matt,

My view has both pros and cons. We are using PowerPlay (Windows-client, Excel-client and web-based Upfront)

Pros:
- great analysis tool if you have TIME to analyze (I'm short!)
- new Excel-client (Navigator) is very useful

Cons:
- providing relevant content takes time and work, as always
- I'd like to have more end-user power, making new ad-hoc classifications and changes to data structures is limited
- Upfront is a great portal, but needs further development and bug-testing
- when have to report very low-level data you should consider using raw SQL or their Impromptu-product (PowerPlay-cubes have very top-down approach!)

After all I'm happy user but problems still exists.

Regards,
Al

I am finding it quite complex and confusing at the moment. I have not really utilized it since I am still trying to figure out how to get the data down from an Informix database so I can create a cube. I have been working through the tutorials and see how powerful this tool can be, but its complexities on applying it to my needs are unclear. As much as I do not want a consultant in here to show me how to access data due to the expense, I may end up doing that. I cannot find many users that can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back