Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

custom versus general 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixindicator

IS-IT--Management
Sep 6, 2007
BE
I have a request from a small company in a food branch. Initially you can say this is a custom task. In short taking orders. But perhaps you can see this if you think a bit widther as a general software product for this branch.

I have no experience on this before. What should experienced developers do or recommand ?

Now I gone make this for this customer. But if he take a licence or something like this he can resell this himself ?
Or can I take a licence myself and sell it to other customers at a very lower price then this first customer (because its a copy) ?

Depends on the nature of your contract. Who has the IPR?

C

I set up the contract myself. The question is more commercial or business minded.
I make this the first time for him so its a custom product, so it is a "huge" charge for him (related to when he should only buy a copy (a licence), he should pay per hour of development.

I have no idea whats practice for software development companies. After I sell this product to him, is it his product (so he can resell) or do I still have copyright ?
or software lawn.

wrong question, what is IPR ?

IPR - Intellectual Property Rights.

Were you contracted to supply a product at a price or were you contracted to supply labour to develop a solution?

In case 1, you own the IPR, they just paid a high price which is their lookout.

In case 2, they own the IPR. You can't just resell anything as it's not yours to resell.

C

contracted to supply a product at a price, so I suppose case1.

So in this case I can resell and he not ?

If that is true (i'd be VERY careful about it, go see a solicitor), then it's likely.

C

If the project has extended commercial value, other than this client, then make sure that you are selling the license to use, and not the actual source code. You can do a number of things to ensure that the program only works where its installed. You can also sunset the app so that you have to get periodic updates to continue using the app. Again all of that should be spelled out in the contract or license. You may or may not need a lawyer to help depending on what the client is looking for and how good you are at writing a contract. You propably have a number of them to look at already from the software you have purchased.

Jim C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back