Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Start Menu? How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bran2235

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
Hey all-
Just built a new PS4 server / AD GPO Link too... I have redirected user's Start Menu to a DIR on the root drive. Working great...

However, I want to get rid of the default OUTLOOK EXPRESS from the Start Menu on the top Left Hand Side-(defaults are IE and "Mail" / Outlook Express)...

Any ideas?

Many thanks!
Brandon

Hi
I have seen tips with registry values to change that are supposed to disable the creation of that icon but they don't seem to work. Just create a small batch script that deletes the file when the user logs in. Configure the script as a log on script in the GPO.

/Hof

Thanks Hof,
Can you give me any tips on a script? I'm not one for wrting too many scripts... Thanks!!

Brandon

Just write
Del "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\outlook express.lnk" /y

/Hof

GPO Setting under:
User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar

Remove common program groups from Start Menu

By default, the Programs menu contains items from the All Users profile and items from the user's profile. If you enable this setting, only items in the user's profile appear in the Programs menu.

Tip: To see the Program menu items in the All Users profile, on the system drive, go to Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs.

R.Sobelman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back