Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bensta

Programmer
Jul 21, 2003
US
I am a Crystal report development. I do not have a lot of experience with Cognos Impromptu. Can anyone explain to me how I could desing a report in Cognos. That is, have the ability to design a custom report just like in Crystal or MS Access? I want to be able to specify where my data should display on the report. I would appreciate any help
Thank you

You can start by creating the catalog, you'll need Impromptu Administrator to create a catalog.

The catalog is the schema of your database you defined the tables you want to query against with the appropriate joins.

Once your catalog is created you can then create a report. You can start by creating a simple list report is very straight forward just click and drag any field you want to view in your report.

Martin

I learned Access reports on my own, I learned Crystal Reports on my own, (with the help of some books) but I had to take the Impromptu Administrator Course at Cognos to figure how the catalog worked. I don't know why there are not any books on the subject.

Diesel

Thank you so much for your responses to my question.
I am sorry I think I was not very clear with my question.
I was wondering if It was possible to design reports just the way it is possible with Crystal and Access. I can define my header, my footer, and my detail sections for all my groupings if any, and choose present my details information in any position on my report. That way, I could have a complete control over my data presentation for my reports. Another example, maybe I want to create a text field that would for instance display the number of records ( using the Sum function ). I can even make it visible or invisible. These are the kind abilities I wish to be able to have with Cognos. Is it possible???
From a programmer point of view, it would be nice to have that much flexibility.

If you design your report using a form frame, you have a great deal of flexibility regarding how & what data is displayed. It is cumbersome though, and more difficult to support in a production environment.
If you decide to build Form Frame reports, I suggest using the Show Boundaries functionality in Impromptu so you can always see where all your objects are.

Pain is stress leaving the body

DoubleD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back