Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Recipient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikk

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2002
CA
Hi All

Got a head scratcher...well at least where I stand. Anyway, here's the scoop. We have a part-time person here on our network and in the beginning I created him an account like everyone else. However, due to the fact that he is rarely here and he can't get VPN access for his laptop, I decided to dump the mailblox and create a Custom Recipient instead. Our president wanted to be able to choose him from the global addy list when sending internal mail but have ti go to his home email account instead. Easy enough, right. Wrong. I've tried every which way to create a customer recipient in Exchange and to no avail. It always tries to send to an "Exchange" mailbox instead. Even though it doesn't exist...it wants to send internally and not use the custom address I created. What gives? Even when you go to the Global Address Book...it shows the alias with the little globe but the descriptor says EX. Clear as mud?

Help please!

Thanks

PP

Just add a regular "new mailbox" like you had it since the begening and then create a new "custom recipient" this should be "internet address" just give it a different name because it will not let you give it the same name as the regular local mailbox then under the properties for the local mailbox under "delivery options" select the custom recipient mailbox of course that the smtp address for the custom will have to be the user's personal home email address, and place a checkmark on the "deliver messages to both recipient and alternate" and last step will be to hide the custom mailbox from the address book. Hope this will help you the way it helps me. Alex.

Alex,

Thanks for the info. I did all that the first time though and everytime I tried to send mail to that new custom address...it tried to send to the local mailbox instead. Even after I deleted the local mailbox and only used the custom recipient by itself...it still failed with an unknown user error. I'll start from scratch and if I can reproduce the error message again...I'll send you the text.

Pikk

Did you add the user account also to the windows domain database????????????

Alex,

The user in question is a member of the domain...always has been. In any event, I'm going to try this again this afternoon so I should have news to report on it by late today or tomorrow morning.

Thnx again.

Alex,

The user in question is a member of the domain...always has been. In any event, I'm going to try this again this afternoon so I should have news to report on it by late today or tomorrow morning.

Thnx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back