Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom keyboard shortcuts stop working

Status
Not open for further replies.

maplepub

Technical User
Sep 29, 2007
US
Periodically when I'm working in an InDesign CS3 document with lots of images, my custom keyboard shorcuts stop working. My shortcuts are still selected instead of Default, but they just don't work, after working a moment before. Since I can barely remember the Default shortcuts any more, I quit and relaunch InDesign, and that brings back my shortcuts — for awhile.

I wonder, since I usually have PhotoShop open while I'm working in ID, would it help if I gave PS less RAM so that ID can grab more? Assuming that this is a memory issue. I have 3 GB of RAM so I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem.

I have not experienced anything like this, my only suggestion would be that it is user specific in this case. 3gb of ram should be enough to have 50 versions of InD and Photoshop running simultaneously ha ha.

You, I'm nearly sure there is a shortcut for changing the Keyboard shortcuts, and it's not easy to press... I could be wrong with that. Try to take a note of what you're doing at the time and what you're pressing, what programs you have open and etc. This may help you track down the problem

I run InDesign and Photoshop for 11 hours a day with 2gb of ram and it works fine

Hi there,
I don't think this is a unique problem as I am also having exactly the same problem, ie. I've just upgraded to Indesign CS3 and since updating to 5.0.1 the keyboard just stops working for no reason and I have to quit Indesign to get it to work again. I'm on an Intel mac and think this could be the root of the problem - are you on one too by any chance?

I'm also having problems with the Link alert triangle intermittently not working and the same goes for Step and Repeat. These are all a pain as I'm constantly using Indesign and updated to 5.0.1 to solve the printing problem, but now I've got even more!! Does anyone know if there are ways to solve these without having to quit Indesign or throw away my prefs all the time?

I actually have started to notice this problem. Although mine is slightly different. I am working on some stuff and InDesign freezes, then it locks up, then it quits. I restart InDesign and my Shortcuts are reset to Default instead of my specified shortcuts.

Weird.

Check out my FAQ about contacting Adobe for fixing problems. They do listen to each problem and address the ones with most complaints for future patches.

Thanks,
Eugene

I am indeed on an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac (white). At first I thought tmy Custom shortcuts were forgotten because my doc had tons o' photos with High Quality Display turned on. But now I see that the same thing happens in a very simple document.

And it's not every shortcut, but most of them. They're the ones I use most, unfortunately, like Turn On/Off Guides and Fit On Page. My shortcuts are assigned to the numeric keypad. But I don't think this is the root cause, because for a period of weeks after I started using my own shortcuts it worked just fine throughout my sessions. Something else happened to make most of the custom shortcuts go away after a period of time into a work session. The Adobbe update, perhaps?

I have become so dependent on my shortcut set that I'm suddenly lost when they stop responding to keystrokes, so I have no choice but to restart InDesign. Simply changing to a different set and back doesn't work.

Eugene, I have experienced "InDesign Has Unexpectedly Quit" a few times, but it doesn't freeze or lock up or lose any functionality first. It just quits. This is sporadic and not too frequent, and I can't say that I'm doing a certain thing when it happens. When I return from the automatic recovery, the shortcuts are indeed set back to Default and my document window is invariably resized to run below the Control Bar.

Ah, I have the IT department looking into this, as I thought it was a problem with the server, as I'm working from files on a server. It could be the 5.01 update... I wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back