Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom error asp

Status
Not open for further replies.

madanthrax

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2001
AT
Hi all,

I am having a hard time finding anything out about using asp custom error pages in IIS6.

I develop on my laptop which has XP and IIS5. I need to get some info about page not found 404 errors. I already have a custom error page 404 setup, its a .htm. So I make an asp page instead with all the servervars etc to catch the querystrings and referers etc. Fine, it works beautifully on my laptop.

Servers at work are IIS6 and the operators say you cant setup a custom error page using asp now because the IIS5 setup allowed you to specify a URL and that option is not there in IIS6, so the asp wont execute on the website...

Being suspicious of our operators real web savvy and that Microsoft would produce a new version without this useful feature I did some heavy duty Googleing. All I found was one old article saying that the reviewer was suprised that the beta version of IIS6 seemed not to have this function included.

If MS had taken away this feature I feel pretty sure there would be a few posts about it somewhere. Am I missing something big here, or have our server operators?

Assuming the worst news from this forum, has anyone any neat ideas how you would extract the bad querystring and referrer when you have to start with an htm error page?

Thanks in advance if anyone can shed some light on this.

Ant

[sub]"Nothing is impossible until proven otherwise"[/sub]​

Thanks for the reply Chris, I hope its true (even though it makes me look like an idiot).

Monday will be High Noon in the server room....

[sub]"Nothing is impossible until proven otherwise"[/sub]​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back