Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cursor disappears in web forms and online forums (like this one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitelInMyBlood

Technical User
Apr 14, 2005
US
Win 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
MS-Office 2010
IE 9
Intel Core I5-750
ATI Radeon HD5750
twin Dell 20" (2007FP) monitors
resolution set to 1280 x 960 (so my 65-yr old eyes can see things)

This is an intermittent but frequently occurring problem. My cursor is disappearing. I can still find the mouse pointer, but the cursor disappears. Frustating and driving me nuts.

I have changed some of the display default settings mainly to increase font sizes and also have increased the default ICON sizes.

This isn't happening (that I know of) in Outlook (2010) nor in Word, but occurs frequently in web forms & online forums. I think this may be an issue w/IE9 but havent yet tried other browsers to confirm. The problem did seem to start about the time I upgraded {sic} to IE9

Any ideas? Has anyone else seen this problem?
Thanks!!

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

I too have seen this intermittent problem with the Cursor disappearing in Web Forms, I too use IE 9 but in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Even though the Cursor fails to show sometimes, it is (for me) still in the position where I place it when typing although sometimes not visible. As soon as I begin to type the vanishing Cursor reappears. As this is an intermittent fault and not a great problem for me I am living with it without too much inconvenience.

If I was concerned enough about the problem I would look at both IE 9 and Mouse Drivers as a possible cause.

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)

You can uninstall Mouse Drivers via the Device Manager, reboot, and let Windows rediscover them. You can also try a different Mouse.

I have occasionally noticed this phenomenon, also. Strange.

Jim

I concur that IE9 exhibits this strange symptom, and in TextArea fields (multiline) sometimes the cursor (caret) cannot be positioned using the End key or arrow keys. It comes and goes without apparent rhyme or reason, but quite frequently.

I uninstalled IE9 and blocked Windows Update from offering it.

While I agree it may be related to drivers I'm not using exotic hardware and I have seen it on two quite different machines. I find it hard to believe this issue got past beta testing, but then I suppose there were lots of whizzy new features to focus on.

Win8 is supposed to be heavily invested in the new HTML5-enabled rendering engine first released in IE9. This is not a good omen.

Comfirmed, IE9 was the problem. Initially I tested with Chrome and Mozilla and neither exhibited the problem. Upon rolling back the IE9 update (reverting back to IE8) the problem is gone. Happy days are here again. There were several other "features" I disliked about IE9.

For others wishing to roll back to IE8 the process is quite simple. Open Control Panel and go to Programs & Features. In the upper left click on "View installed updates". Scroll down to find Internet Explorer 9 then left click on it and select Uninstall.

Once complete you will need to reboot & this reboot will take somewhat longer than normal but when your system is back up you will be back to IE8.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back