Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cursed Cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikermann

Instructor
Jan 22, 2002
US
OS X 10.6.8 - my cursor died a couple of months ago, so the shop put a new keyboard cover / cursor bar on; has worked; this last week or two, however, when I'm scrolling the cursor around the screen, it will -- quite on its own accord -- begin creating shaded drag-boxes; other times, when it is over a word or phrase, it will come away with a transparent blue (as in highlighted) word or couple of words; a third issue is that there are times when I'm two-fingers-on-the-tracking-pad making my way back to the top of a page, and the page will just take off on its own all the way to the top. The only way I've found to interrupt any of these issues is to ESC / Click Cursor; that seems to "clear the cursor's mind" for it to get back to doing what it's supposed to do.

So....any idea(s) about what's going on here? Solution(s)?

Many thanks.

Assuming that we are discussing a trackpad on a laptop, attach a mouse. Rule out the possibility that the overall system is possessed by the devil.

If the mouse works, look at possible hardware issues with the trackpad and shift keys. Soda pop poured on the keyboard?

Following on from spamjim's post, you mention 'trackpad' - so assuming that this is a MacBook, what model is it? Many have an adjustment screw and it's possible that it's been knocked on key replacement by your repair shop. There are also cases where exposure to the high temperatures of operation cause the delicate copper data flex cable, situated in the top case of some 'books, to fail. In rare cases, battery swelling can cause odd functioning/mis-functioning of the 'pad.

soi là, soi carré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back