Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Current Fax Standard???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagreen

Technical User
Jun 2, 2003
US
All of the sudden, not having bought a modem for years, I need to buy some external fax modems for my network, specifically to handle faxes. Having been so far away from it for so long, I have no idea what the current standard is for faxes, and I want to make sure I get a model that isn't missing the latest standard. I see "Group 3" mentioned from time to time, occassionally coupled with "Class 1". Is it enough that the fax/modem has Group 3 capability?

(As an aside, although I don't think these will ever be used as modems per se, what is the current modem standard? V.92?)

Thanks!

Correct on both counts. But I would research the fax application that you are interested in using, and decide whether you need Class 2 fax capability in order to get all of the features that you want. I can't recall what the differences are, but I have seen a couple of fax programs that only supported either Class 1 or Class 2 faxes.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back