Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Current Date and on records only 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicCross

Programmer
Dec 4, 2001
GB
Right I’m still not very good at visual Interdev so some one please help

I have an asp page that links to an access database with a booking table. I have a grid that I just want to show the future bookings. I have it linked to a record set with
The following sql

SELECT `Booking number`, `Date`, `Real start time`, `Real finish time`, Room FROM Booking ORDER BY `Date`

What do I need to change so that only booking with the current date or future dates are included in the grid

Thanks for any help or suggestions
Ric
Rick@soton.ac.uk

Change the SQL to use the Access method that returns the current date:
WHERE datediff('day', [Date], date()) >= 0
or just
WHERE [Date] >= date()
the second method works if the date column is guaranteed to NOT have a time element (other than the default).

You may want to format the date, which you can do
* on the SQL server
SELECT format('dd mmm yy', [Date]) as fmtDate
* or when building the grid (non DTC way):
<TD><%=formatDateTime(rsBookings.fields(&quot;Date&quot;).value)%>

If you use DTC's for the recordset and/or the DTC Grid, then you may have fun with the format function - as the database column is cast to a string (i.e. formatted into a string) within the Recordset DTC code using the server Locale setting - which may not be the one you expect.

[For your information...]
Finally, you may want to add a button or combo box so the end user can see different date ranges (last month/next month/all time etc.). Your SQL may change to use Query Parameter(s), for example:

WHERE datediff('day', [Date], date()) between ? and ?

if you use a Recordset DTC, then provide the number of days range as:
rsBookings.close 'should test if open first!
rsBookings.setParameter 0, nStartDays
rsBookings.setParameter 1, nEndDays
rsBookings.open
where nStartDays/nEndDays are numbers depending on the options chosen (i.e. last month = -31 to 0).
(Content Management)

Thanks for the reply much welcome

I'm still having a few problems tho. the databse i'm trying to connection is an access database that is connected with a dns odbc conection.

Im using the sql builder when i try and a add => date() to the criteria i get a message with &quot;Your entery cannot be coverted to a valid date time value&quot; what am i doing wrong

any help much welcome

Ric

OK. It would have helped if I tested it first (i am used to SQLServer which uses this syntax)!

Try wrapping Access functions in { fn FUNCTION() }

eg.
SELECT { fn DateDiff('d', [DATE], { fn NOW() }) }
AS DateFunctionTest,
FROM BOOKINGS
WHERE { fn DateDiff('d', [DATE], { fn NOW() }) } < 20

..OR..

add a query to the access database with the required functionality, and reference this in ASP instead. If you use the Data Environment, these appear as 'Views'.

(Content Management)

Thanks man that works a treat

thanks, thanks, thanks,

Ric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back