Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Current Cisco 2621's adequate for VOIP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ocsic

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2005
US
A pbx vendor has told me that my current routers are not adequate for voip (not enough memory) and I would much appreciate the opinions of some knowledgeable people - with nothing to sell. Hopefully providing just the right amount of detail, the specifics of my situation follow.

I have a WAN that connects a headquarters and 3 remote locations - all in the Washington DC metro area. I have Cisco 2621's at all locations. I have channelized T's that currently provide each remote with 256k data with that being aggregated at headquarters. The routers all have 16/64 mb flash/dram, which is max and are on ios 12.2. The routers are not on Smartnet.

I am renegotiating my telecom contracts and think I get my best bandwidth/dollar value with full point to point T-1's. In addition want to install a new PBX at all locations. To my current data requirement (Oracle db), I want to add voip between locations and whatever bandwidth is left I will use for a security camera system.

In an average month, we make 18,000 calls, 20% of which is intra company. As for PBX vendors, I am looking at Avaya IP Office, Mitel 200/3300 ICP and Zultys (any comments?).

Given their memory and ios levels, is it possible to use the current routers in my new data scenario? Even if it is possible, would it be prudent to have routers with more memory and the newest ios? Also, am I correct in assuming that my QOS issues will be totally in my control by using point to point T-1's?

Thank you!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

At first glance it seems like they should run fine. It doesn't seem to be doing anything but passing data and possibly a little QoS. The 2621 can handle a few T1s without a problem. Don't make your Queueing too involved, or it could start to use CPU. I would say, without knowing more information, that it is fine.

You trust Cisco with your WAN, why not your phone system?

It is what it is!!

If you are looking at a new PBX check out Inter-Tel axxess 9.0. We have this system and it is very painless to integrate into your data network. Also I would think that upgrading the main office router to maybe a 2800 series would be a good idea. That way as you do not have smartnet on 2621 routers you would then have a cold spare ready to go if a remote branch has a problem. Just load config to it, ship it, and plug it in. I would keep minimum smartnet on new router so as to have access to IOS downloads and TAC support.

If you are integrating PBXs that support VOIP and act as the gateway at each location the routers should be fine. since once the PBX send it over the WAN it is nothing more than IP. If you are going to use the routers for SRST integrated with Cisco Avvid you will need more memeory and at least ISO 12. Make sure you have enough WAN bandwidth as G711 requires 80k per call, G729 requires 24k per call. The bandwidth is undirectional so you need to multiply the numbers by 2. Most VOIP installs use G711 for local(same LAN segment) and use G729 ofver the WAN.

what exact build of IOS are they running, Is it IP Plus ??

ipo.gif
Umm anotherprivatebuild !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back