Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CUP-C Client question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitelInMyBlood

Technical User
Apr 14, 2005
US
Is it possible to configure the Personal Communicator client to grey-out the option to unselect the default desktop phone? I need to give the click-to-dial feature to a small group of users where they would need the ability to choose from multiple hardphones, but I do not want them inadvertently de-selecting the hardphone totally in favor of the softphone. (just to try and make it as idiot-proof as I can).

This group of 20 or so users share an Excel spreadsheet list of approx 500 speed call entries and work in 12-hour shifts of 6 or 7 people each. We do not want to import this list into CUP-C nor into Outlook. We'd prefer to put it on a sharepoint drive w/readonly privledges for click-to-call. The call list is a little dynamic w/occasional changes that the endusers will not have write-access to.

The users will not have voice mail. They will not have or require Presence indicators. ONLY -repeat- ONLY click-to-call. (IM/Chat will be available, but likely unused). They're simply looking for a way to leverage CUP-C to access their speed call list with minimal hassle (and minimal back room support).

We've tested this and it seems to work exactly like we want it to. I specifically do not want to use Cisco's "click to dial" client. We're wanting to use CUP-C.

All I need to find out is if there's a way to disable the ability to "un-check" the hardphone while still offering the ability to choose from among a list of 15 hardphones (each of the 6 users will select one of the 15 available hardphones when he starts his shift).

We also do not care about incoming screen-pops. The phones (7975) will have a 7-member hunt group which is duplicated (shared) among all 15 phones. (cloned except individual DID's on the 1st line). They will each dial-out from their own Line 1. No incoming calls to the DID (other than personal calls) - all incoming calls will be presented to approx 12 different PILOT numbers which all point to one common 7-member broadcast hunt group. (this is simply for the express purpose of tagging each call with the correct trunk label to each specific call) so the users know how to corrently answer each call.

Can this (grey-out of the softphone option) be done and still have the rest of it work?

Thanks!!!

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

do the users login into cupc with their own individual user credentials or are they sharing one login id and just change shifts?
You will need to assign each phone to each end user (all 15 hardphones) at the end user page and then they will need to select whiich phone they want to control.

Yes, each user logs-in with their own LanID credentials. Yes, I'm aware of the requirement to assign every (all 15) hardphones collectively to each user so they can select the phone they happen to sit down at.

Idle hands are sometimes the devil's workshop. I'm simply concerned that at midnight shift change that someone could inadvertently (tinkering around, let's see what this does)de-select the hardphone and then have to call someone out because of their inquisitiveness. (since CUPC is a desktop "application" it will be solely supported by the desktop apps folks, not telecom & this support team sometimes is known to begin shotgunning things they don't understand. Remove the bullets from the gun before handing it to them - ie, take away that softphone option)

Can we do it?

Enabling CUPC seems to require giving the client the softphone. I'm fine doing that as long as I can disable the checkbox for it in CUPC and not make it available (IE lock 'em down to a selection of 15 hardphones only) ???

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back