Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cud a low Watt PSU damage my system ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

transtec

MIS
Nov 1, 2005
LK
Hey Im jus after building my new AMD64 based PC,

I jus realised my PSU is damn 300W altho I asked for a 400W one. After going thru some threads here, I came to know that most ppl recommend more than 450W for new systems. I havent noticed any 'unusual' problems so far that could suggest that my PSU is low in Watts. But I jus wanna clear my doubts : do you think my system might be underperforming if the watts are lower than required ( altho I havent noticed it ) ? Would it have an effect in the long term ?

BTW, my hardware specs are as follows :

AMD64 3000+ ( 1.8 Gigs Winchester core )
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Mobo
1 Gig RAM ( 512 x 2 DDR400 on dual channel )
Gigabyte 3D Cooler Ultra GT
Gigabyte GeForce PCX 5300 PCI Express Card
Asus DVD Writer
Hitachi 160 Gig SATA drive
Maxtor 120 Gig IDE Drive

well the monitor is powered separate from the system power supply, so we can forget about that.

transtec
Well much depends on the quality of said power supply, long term though, it doesn't bode well, running any PSU at close to it's max output is going to stress components and create more heat, not good for system longevity.
A bit like constantly thrashing your cars engine, something will eventually give and if this PSU isn't top shelf (brand wise) when it goes it could well permanently damage other vital components.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back