Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CUBES DEFINED

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUDGE27

MIS
Jul 20, 2002
AU
Hello all,

Ive been unsuccessful in finding any informative info on
OLAP cubes.

Can anyone please direct me to recources they found usefull
defining what the function of an CUBE is.

Thanks in Advance

Hi,

Just doing a search on the web will be able to provide you with a multitude of answers.....here is a sample

In a nutshell, an OLAP cube is a reporting mechanism containing hierarchical "dimensions" and "measures", which allow users to create their own reports. Dimensions are organised in a hierarchical manner, allowing users to "drill up" and "drill down" within the dimensions.

For example, if an OLAP cube contains information about Loan Approvals for a bank, your dimensions could be something like:

- "Approval Date" - within this dimension the hierarchy could be something like Year --> Month --> Day, allowing users to filter on a particular day's, month's or year's approval details

- "Approver" - within this dimension the hierarchy could be something like State --> Region --> Branch Name, allowing users to filter on which branch/es approval details they want to see

- "Product Type" - within this dimension the hierarchy could be something like Product Group (eg. Home Loan, Business Loan, Personal Loan etc) --> Product Type (eg. Fixed Interest Home Loan, Variable Interest Home Loan)

In the same cube you also have "measures" such as:
- "Approval Amount"
- "Budget Amount"
- "Number of Approvals"

The users are then able to create their own customised reports from this cube to meet their own needs. For example, a user may want to see the budget amount for all loans for the entire year, while another user may want to see the number of approvals made within a month, for a particular state.

Just my ideas anyway, im sure others will have more to add.

J

Thankyou very much JGIRL.

Your post has definately filled the void in my knowledge,
of OLAP cubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back