Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CTS Process - what is the order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfj2

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2002

Hi. Is there a document anywhere on the web or can someone email me the order in which objects should be CTS'd from from one system to another? Do tables come before abap? etc... Thanks!

hi
correction and transport system...
there is not another order then the one you give to the system.
you releaase a transport order, and then it will be queued in the destinations system import queue.
or do you mean what comes first if tables and source are transported in one transport order ?
there are ONLY tables for sap...tables which contain source and tables which contain data/customizing.
import is always done by alphabetical order.
do u have a specific problem ?

I guess by now you've had an answer from another source, but fwiw, yes there's an order to things. Typically your developmnt/implementation crew dont put a lot of emphasis on this and it'll cause the occasional wild goose chase.

I'm guessing you asked this question because you have had transport dependency problems in the past?

Repository objects (domains, fields, tables ...) should be transported before abaps, or at least WITH them. Basically, the hierarchgy of dependencies is that which is used by the tp program (probably recognised only by us pre release 4 techies) which is documented somewhere, if you look under the tp import all option.

Ways round problems that I've used in large projects (severeal 10,000 of transports) is (without prjudice) to:
(1) List all transports (change requests) of any sort, workbench, object list, customising that make up a 'parcel of work'. Get the developers and customisers to do this for you.
(2) Go to a system in your landscape where all these transports are either created, or have been imported. I usually go to my Q/A system, where transports have been migrated to and have been hopefully tested and signed off. I scan the ALOGxxx files for import history to forumlate a list. As a double check you can scan the transport cofiles to see the system migration path a transport has taken (be aware that if the transport directory is not shared, the transport history in the cofiles is not to be trusted).
(3) Make a new SINGLE transport and INCLUDE all objects from all other transports from step (1) into its object list. DO this in the tested, cleanest, best quality system in your landscape. Compress and sort the transport.
(4) export this single transport
(5) import it where required, and the tp program takes care of all dependencies and the order of things.

If this technique is not appropriate or too scary, consider using the 'tp import all' from the operating system, giving it a buffer (in as near a sequence that matched real-life export order as you can). The 'all' option tells tp to scan the import buffer and make the best sequence of objects it can - you'll get fewer errors and the whole process is much quicker than using txn STMS.

If using the 'all' optoin, with older versions of tp program, be careful NOT to import client exports (client copies) in your transport buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back