Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ctrl + alt + del wont' bring up taskman. Alt + F4 won't quit tsr

Status
Not open for further replies.

iainm

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
AU
I've got a dual boot of w2k and w98 using the standard w2k boot menu. In w2k, when I press ctrl + alt + del instead of bringing up the task manager, the active desktop disappears for a second (displays the underlying wallpaper) then flashes back again. I've tried turning off active desktop but to no avail. I've managed to kind of work around it by adding an icon for taskman on my desktop and giving it the hotkey ctrl + alt + D, but this doesn't work when a program has locked up the system at all.
My other problem is I have a whole lot of system tray resident apps which I occasionally want to close. I their right click menus some of them do not have an exit option. Previously I dealt with this by right clicking on them and pressing alt + F4, but in my current install it gives me the shut down windows dialog.
any ideas?

Active Desktop shouldn't cause that. Sounds like you have an app running that's causing all sorts of problems for you. Have you installed SP2? Does this sort of thing happen immediately after a fresh boot?

FYI...CRTL-ALT-ESC will take you directly into the task manager

~cdogg

erm...ctrl+alt+esc minimises the current window, always has. Haven't installed sp2, probably should. may be prog, I dunno. any ideas on the altf4 thing?

Sorry iainm, CTRL+SHIFT+ESC is the key combination I was thinking of! (-:

Don't know about the Alt+F4 problem. It's really strange. Perhaps installing SP2 will replace the right system files to resolve that. Otherwise, you may be looking at a reinstall (not necessarily a format/reinstall).

First thing I would do at this point is disable as many apps from startup as possible (from the startup folder, system tray, and registry Run key) and see if that helps. Try and find the cause!!

[deejay]
~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back