Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CTRL+ALT+DEL Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2001
GB
Heres what happened:

I was checking out a share because when I attempted to connect to it, it wouldn't let me. Anyway, I pcAnywhere'd onto the server to check it out. Went into the properties of the folder which is shared and checked the permissions of the share. It said that 'Account unknown' had full control (which is obviously not right) and a message popped up about validating domains or something. I clicked off it too fast so I cancelled and attempted to go back in to see what it was.
The properties didn't do anything; they just stayed there as a grey box with no info. After a while, I tried using Server Manager from my computer, selected the server and went to shared directories.
My computer then stopped responding, then a window I had opened crashed so I ended the task on that. That killed explorer so I closed pcAnywhere and selected CTRL+ALT+DEL and log off.
Once I logged back in, I pcAnywhere'd back onto the server. It was locked again, so I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, but it doesn't do anything. The box disappears and you can move the mouse, but you are just left with the background, nothing else.
This is our Notes server, and I can still access my notes from my workstation (which is good), but I can't do anything with the server.

Any ideas? I think all I can do is button it. I don't really want to do this, plus I'll have to wait till the end of the day before I can.

Thanks

Send Ctrl+Alt+Del to server, select Task Manager, from the Applications tab click on New Task..., in the dialog box type explorer.exe and click OK. This should reinitialize the windows interface, giving you back your icons and such.

Hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL did nothing...that was the problem. I couldn't get into Task Manager.

Anyway, we ended up buttoning it when everyone had gone home and thats sorted the problem.

Thanks

just FYI, you can get straight into Task Manager by pressing [CTRL]+[SHIFT]+[ESC] :) If someone annoys you, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you'll be a mile away from them, and you'll have their shoes :eek:)

you can also go Start | Run | Type taskmgr

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

JMcAllister, Bremmerz, Alshrim,

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify on what the problem was.

Our Notes server was at the CTRL+ALT+DEL stage stating that it was locked. This was ok.
When I pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL, that box disappeared and nothing else appeared. Obviously, the box allowing you to enter your password should have appeared but it didn't.
Instead, I was left with the background (that horrible standard greenish one...maybe I should change it...).
No box popped up, but I was still able to move the mouse about.

Also, I could access my Notes from my desktop workstation.

Pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC would have done nothing, and I wouldn't have been able to get to START->RUN.

Thanks for the replies...

Regards

You could also have viewed from another server what service(s) were not functioning with a srvinfo command. That may have to come from the resource kit though. You can use it in conjunction with the net start or stop or similar command to fix the service that was hung.

I'll have to remember that for future reference...hopefully I won't need it though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back