Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CTRL+ALT+DEL capturing 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvbruwae

Programmer
Aug 9, 2001
EU
Hi

I'm writing a small tutorial to explain to new Windows users how they can change their password (by pressing CTRL/ALT/DEL etc.) I'd like to include some screenshots of the different windows that appear (they're in Dutch so I won't find them on the Internet), but how do you take a screenshot once you pressed CTRL/ALT/DEL? Is this possible using basic Windows key combinations, or are there any freeware/shareware apps that can do this?

Thank you.

Your best bet maybe a digital camera and an editing program. I believe because of the security issues with the CTRL ALT DELETE you wont find anything helpful, if you should please post it.

You're probably right, once the keys are pressed the user's context is replaced with a system context in which other program don't work. I used a system monitoring tool that was able to continue taking screen captures while in the escape sequence, but afterwards the pictures taken during this time appeared to be black. I'm now using snapshots taken when running a terminal services logon window. The only remaining problem was that the buttons are in English, so I'm editing them with PSP. Thanks for your interest.

Tim

You could find a capture program a small tray program that captures the screen when you use a set keybaord shortcut, also you could try the "print screen" key and then just paste the clipboard in PSP...

If you hit Alt+PrintScreen it will take a cap of just the active window, and copy it to the clipboard. Marc Creviere

Sorry, but none of these things work after pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL on a WIN NT/2000 system. There is no way to take screen shots after pressing this key combination as far as I know, and I haven't found any program that could do it too.

Why not design a form which apes the dialogue and take a screenshot of that? All it needs to do is look like the dialogue - you don't need any functionality do you?

You can draw forms in VB or C++ builder - which is free for personal use at (or I think).

D.

If you have a terminal server you can do it.
If you don't find any solutions i can do it for you

Eran

How about PC Anywhere? PC Anywhere 10 will work with win2k and you can log in remotely and take a screen shot from the remote computer..

I used the Terminal Services windows to take the shots. They only needed some editing since I needed the Dutch screens while my server is an English version, but this wasn't a big problem. Thank you all for helping me out!

Tim

All "remote" solutions mentioned above seem to work. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back