Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CTA 100 and Windows XP sp 3 compatability 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonltgmblr

Technical User
Apr 28, 2008
US
Ok, Gurus, can somebody help me?
I am trying to get Personal Call Manager to load on a Windows XP service pack 3 machine. I have tried on three different computers without any luck. I keep getting a message that another application is using jet files. Microsoft suggests closing all applications, which I have done, but that doesn't work. Am I beating a dead horse?

there is a version of TAPI that you need to download for the PCM to recognize the comm ports in xp I am looking for it on my PC to see if I can get you any more info on it.

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Hey, first, thanks Jerry

Was reading about tapi and came to conclusion that TAPI 3.0 was included on XP sp?...and was downward compatible.

Only repeating what I have read?

I also went into a number of files and marked all as read/write... that didn't seem to work either. I give up has something to do with Installshield I think. Maybe not.

I am still struggling with trying to load Personal Call Manager on an XP machine. Jerryreeve suggested downloading a version of Tapi...so I went back and it does call for tapi 2.1. My Windows XP has tapi 3.1...how do I get tapi 2.1 on my Windows XP machine?

I think I got it off of the nortel website, it's been a while and I don't think I still have the download anymore. at least I can't find a zipped folder from a download.

Hill?? What hill??
JerryReeve
com-sys.com

I had the same issue with the jet file being used thing. If you are loading it from a file, you need to close the all the windows, including the one you are running the program from, before installing it. I had the same problem, and it was the window with the setup folder that finally did it. When you start the setup, the nortel page takes over,but open the task manager and close that folder window. After I did that it installed on SP3 fine. I had a thread about this. thread799-1527739

swfl...it is encouraging that at least you say that you got it loaded on windows xp sp3 however, I still cannot get personal call manager to load. I have tried closing everything that I can but still it doesn't load. If you could again explain the steps you went through, maybe there is something I am still doing wrong. Did you get the call manager gui interface?

I downloaded PPS2.2 (personal productivity suite)from the Nortel website. In the PPS2.2 folder, I double clicked the setup file. Then close the PPS2.2 window (and any other windows) before you continue. I tried this 10 times on 4 different PC's. That window being open was causing that jet file open message. I asked about this in that other thread I mentioned above and curlycord noted that it sounded like a Microsoft problem which gave me the idea to close that window. You can uninstall everything by running the PPS program and chose installation then remove and start over. And yes, the Personal Call Manager GUI was installed along with Norstar TAPI service provider, Norstar CTE, and the CTA driver.

OK, I have purchased Nortel Personal Productivity Suite 2.3 on cd...not a copy. I have tried everything I can think of to get the personal call manager to load, with no success. I have tried suggestion made to me here at tek-tips but still no success. Bottom line, I finally copied cd to desktop, booted computer in safe mode and was FINALLY able to load personal call manager. Once loaded and working it seems a nice little addition to phone system. I hope this will help somebody in the future save alot of headaches. Thanks again to those making suggestions and taking an interest in helping someone else.

I like the PPS and I cannot understand why you had such problems getting it fired up. Glad you could get it to run though.

Hill?? What hill??
JerryReeve
com-sys.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back