Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.csv link, field format

Status
Not open for further replies.

lndsy

Technical User
Mar 19, 2004
US
I have a link table created that links to a .csv file.

I can't get the SS#'s in one of the fields of the link table to show the first number of the SS#'s if the first number is 0.

It is important that the 0's are there, as I have several update queries that depend on this format.

any ideas?

The only way you need the leading zero is if you are using the number as a string because leading zeros are always supressed, so if even if you managed to bring across such a number you couldn't preserve its format. You therefore need to make the field a string. Probably the easiest way is to wrap all your access to the file in a query that changes the data to a string and pad out the front with zeros.
That's the sort of thing queries are for.

An alternative is to use a function to fix it after you bring the data in. Like right ("000000000" & [SS#], 9)

ChaZ

Ascii dumb question, get a dumb Ansi

SSNs are numbers merely in name. I can't see how you would ever want to perform calculations on it so store it as a string. This pretty much holds true for any field. If you ain't calculating with it, store it as a string.

You can set this in the import specification being used.

Craig

Thank you everyone!!! I really appreciate your help and input.

The .csv file that I have linked to doesn't have the leading numbers on the SS#'s, so I guess this is why making the link table field a string did not help.

I did, however, create a new query with all of the fields from the link table and replacing the SS# field with Expr1: Format([SSN],'000000000') to make the 0's show. I am able to use this query in the update queries now.

Blorf??
Are you saying that I can use a custom format for the field in the link table itself for the SS# field? If so, the function you provided did not work, but I would be extremely interested in getting the right one, so that I could skip the query of the table step. Thank you so much for helping me :)

No. My suggestion was to use a query like you described.

ChaZ

Ascii dumb question, get a dumb Ansi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back