Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

csv file too big for excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro356

Technical User
Jan 26, 2002
US
We have a file in csv format with about 1200 columns and over 2 million rows. It is 3.8 gb and too large to open in Excel. We need to be able to filter on several columns at once to conduct specific searches and are stymied trying to find something that will work. Any suggestions?

1200 columns, that is insane [thumbsdown]

I would set a table (or few tables) in Access (?) and with a little (VBA?) coding transfer this data into a data base.

After all, csv format is just a simple text file

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Whilst Excel can be used as a database, it is NOT a database ...

Mike Lewis said:
This sounds like a good example of trying to stretch Excel into doing a job that it was never designed for.
True for pure excel. Power Query, an excel ETL add-in tool can process up to 16k columns, as long as the output table size meets worksheet limits, it is worth to try. Microsoft has experimented with Power Query since excel 2013 (or 2010), starting from excel 2016 it is one of built in data tools.

combo

Here's another issue to be aware of, that is a reason that I rarely "open" a text file, like a csv file, with Excel although I will use Excel if I can. Rather, I IMPORT the data via Data > Text files... where I can specify each column as General, Date or Text, since Excel will make data conversion choices that you might not like.

There's a way to specify a text file structure using a .INF file.

With a .INF file you can QUERY a pre-defined text file in Excel.

Using such a technique in Excel, it is possible to return manageable portions of a too-large text file to a worksheet.

BUT, you must know, understand and define the file column structure explicitly and correctly.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

You could use a directory/catalog mailmerge from Word to generate a report with the applicable filtering...

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back